The law (Effective July 1, 2009) creates standardization guidelines for documents recorded with all State of Ohio County Recorder Offices. The purpose is to provide a standard area on every instrument for placing the necessary documentation for recording. This guideline makes certain that recording will be efficient and easily noticeable throughout the State of Ohio. The law also provided for some exceptions and does allow for items out of compliance to be recorded with an additional fee.
The detail on this law can be found in Ohio Revised Code 317.114
Guidelines are as follows:
- Computer font size of at least 10 point
- Minimum paper size – 8 ½ x 11
- Maximum paper size – 8 ½ x 14
- Black or Blue Ink ONLY
- No use of highlighting
- 3 inch margin on top of first page
- 1 ½ inch top margin on all additional pages
- 1 inch margin on each side and bottom
If a document does not conform to these guidelines, an additional recording fee of $20 will be collected. These guidelines do NOT apply to:
- Any document from any court or taxing authority;
- Any state or federal document;
- Any document executed prior to the effective date of this law.